Next Education Workforce
Dr. Cassandra Herring, Branch Alliance for Educator Diversity
Brent Maddin talks with Dr. Cassandra Herring, President and CEO of the Branch Alliance for Educator Diversity, about the Next Educator Workforce and diversity, equity and inclusion.
Brent Maddin talks with Dr. Cassandra Herring, President and CEO of the Branch Alliance for Educator Diversity, in advance of Building the Next Normal, the January 2021 convening hosted by ASU’s Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College, where Cassandra will be a featured expert.
Comments? Feedback? Ideas? Drop us a line at email@example.com.
Follow MLFTC on Twitter at @asueducation and follow Branch Alliance for Educator Diversity at @Branch_EDU. Share this episode with #NextEducationWorkforce.
- 1:02: Cassandra reacts to the “big idea” of a Next Education Workforce and its relationship to teacher diversity.
- 4:28: Cassandra describes the systems we need to build to ensure diversity across the continuum of educator roles.
- 7:09: Cassandra explains how models like Opportunity Culture are rethinking staffing classrooms and redeploying existing resources (as opposed to relying on philanthropy).
- 9:04: In lieu of discrete policy changes, Cassandra proposes a wholescale change in stance toward innovation, incentivization and educator pathways.
- 11:24: Cassandra states the need for colleges and universities to make real changes to curriculum, faculty modeling, and field placement in order to ensure teacher candidates are prepared to leverage differences in identity as an asset.
- 14:36: Cassandra shares her hope that educator teaming might accelerate educators’ personal journeys with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion while still emphasizing the need for educator teams to take an intentional approach to doing the work.
- 16:40: Cassandra recommends readings educators might consider before they join her at Building the Next Normal, the January 2021 convening hosted by ASU’s Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.